Friday, January 6, 2012

Waking Up

Have you ever had days where you woke up and just sat in bed, not because you were tired, but because you were afraid to face the world? That used to happen to me a lot. When I thought about going out and facing people, I just got filled up with a sense of dread. I thought I wouldn't be able to make an impact or even worse make a negative one. I also thought there was no point in talking to people because I felt that everyone hated me.

Of course, all of those thoughts were tainted by depression. Even though it can be difficult to believe, you do have an impact in the lives of several people, and I'm sure that most of them really appreciate it. What helped me change my attitude was deciding that I didn't need to care about what people thought about me. I was worrying so much about looking and acting the "correct" way that it was taking a huge toll on my willpower. That's not to say I started acting like an asshole, I just acted like myself and didn't worry about whether people accepted me or not.

So what should you do when you find yourself unwilling to wake up? Think through it. Why don't you want to get up? If it's because you stayed up studying or had an intense workout the night before, then it's natural to want to sleep in. If you're staying in because you're afraid, think about what's making you feel that way. It can be painful to look inside yourself, but it would be more painful to live the rest of your life afraid of things you don't need to be afraid of.

No comments:

Post a Comment